Benevolence Church in Shancheng Lane
Inner scene of Benevolence Church
Roman columns and ornaments on the outer wall
Corner of Benevolence Church
CHONGQING (CQNEWS) -- The designer will transform 10 buildings, landscapes and spaces in the traditional landscape area of Shancheng Lane to add bricks and tiles for century-old lane. The century-old Benevolence Church, located in the upper part of Shancheng Lane, also has new trends. The reporter of Chongqing Evening News learned that the open space near the Bell Tower of Benevolence Church will be built into a bell tower garden, and the bell tower is also expected to be repaired.
The French church, which has stood in Shancheng Lane for more than 100 years, was once the most magnificent building in this area. The Bell Tower between the ruins is still hard to conceal its glorious past. Recently, for the first time, the reporter went into the Benevolence Church to explore for you.
Old residents like to call it “the Foundling”
After a hundred years, several Roman columns at the entrance of the Benevolence Church are still exquisite. In the Church, the space supported by six large white columns and the arched doors and windows symmetrically distributed on the walls on both sides still retained the original appearance of the Church.
According to the data of Yuzhong Office of Culture and Management, Benevolence Church was built in 1900. The whole building was arranged in the Chinese character “工 (“gong” in pinyin) from a high altitude, which is of Roman brick and wood structure. It was completed and put into use in 1902, including churches, hospitals, priest houses, etc.
Zhou Yingbi, 64, has lived in an alley near the Benevolence Church since she was a child. Now she enjoys a retired life in Shancheng Lane that she can grow flowers and sell Liangxia (cool shrimps). She said that since she can remember, there have been no priests and nuns in the Benevolence Church. Although the house was beautiful, there were few people living in it, so it seemed very quiet.
She told the reporter that during the Anti-Japanese War, there were many nuns in the Benevolence Church with black headscarves. At that time, if anyone nearby picked up an abandoned baby, they would carry the one to the gate of the Benevolence Church. The nun would open the gate to carry the abandoned baby into the Church when she knew it. Therefore, the old residents in the neighborhood like to call Benevolence Church as the Foundling or Charity Church.
Benevolence Church Hospital was very famous
What the most famous in Benevolence Church was Benevolence Church Hospital.
According to historical records, in the early stage of the hospital, only Outpatient Department was set up, and the diocese invited special doctors for consultation. The Inpatient Department was opened in 1934. In 1945, Benevolence Church Hospital set up Benevolence Senior Nurse Vocational School, with a three-year school system. It owned seven classes and 81 graduates. In 1948, on the basis of new buildings and improved medical facilities, the number of beds increased to 100, and the Outpatient Department was equipped with internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, stomatology, facial features, etc.
Zeng Bolu, who was nearly 10 years older than Zhou Yingbi, was the owner of the shop at Shancheng Lane Zhankou Store and an old resident here. He moved away from Shancheng Lane a few years ago. He told the reporter that in the past, the bustling mountains and lanes had lived with many dignitaries and nobles. Shancheng Lane was directly connected to the Nanjimencai Wharf by the river, and the whole lane was crowded with people. The most important thing is that Ren Aidang Hospital was particularly famous at that time, and there were many patients. Zeng Bolu still remembered that there was a dance party for doctors every weekend on the 3rd floor of the hospital.
On the old wall beside the Bell Tower site of Benevolence Church, there are still a few red characters of “Sichuan Chongqing Traditional Chinese Medicine (School) Clinic”, under which is “Kindness (Hall)”. According to the guide on site, in 1951, Benevolence Church Hospital and Southwest Health Department Workers’ Hospital were merged and renamed Xinyu Hospital of Southwest Health Department, becoming the first integrated hospital of traditional Chinese and western medicine in Chongqing.
It was a landmark building on the river bank
Zhou Yingbi said that Benevolence Church had experienced an overhaul decades ago. She remembered that the Benevolence Church at that time was full of arched doors and windows. There were many solid wooden columns that could be held by two people. There was also a red corridor leading to the consul lane. “At that time, it looked more magnificent, and the surrounding buildings were very small. Benevolence Church was a landmark building on the rank of the river, like a palace.”
Under the shade of trees, the cylindrical Bell Tower was like an old man who has experienced vicissitudes. The exquisite diamond lattice window and roman columns reveal the glory of his past.
According to the person in charge of Shancheng Lane traditional landscape area, the space in front of the Bell Tower will be built into a bell tower garden in the future, and the Bell Tower will also be repaired. (Translated by Luo Juan, Fathom Language Limited)