Guo Moruo’s Former Residence opened on trial
Guo Moruo’s Former Residence renovated (Photographed by Tang Yanjuan/Vision Chongqing)
CHONGQING (CQNEWS) -- A reporter of Chongqing Daily recently learned from Yuzhong District that, after restoration and exhibition arrangement, the national key cultural relic protection unit, the Third Office of Political Department of the Military Commission of the National Government and the Cultural Affairs Commission (also known as Guo Moruo’s Former Residence) – “Tianguanfu No. 8” in Yuzhong District, will be opened on trial to the public.
Located in Fangniu Lane, Qixinggang, Yuzhong District, it was built in the 1930s and formerly known as “Tianlu”. It consists of two buildings of three-story Chinese and Western brick and wood structure. Two buildings have construction area of 600 square meters, and in “corridor type” Chinese and Western architectural decoration style.
It was originally the private residence of the brother-in-law of Pan Wenhua who was the first mayor of Chongqing of the Nationalist Government, and later became the office of the Third Office of Political Department of the Military Commission and the Cultural Affairs Commission of the Nationalist Government.
During the eight years living in Chongqing from 1938 to 1946, Guo Moruo always stood in the forefront of the anti-Japanese and national salvation, and extensively mobilized the progressive cultural personages to carry out the anti-Japanese cultural propaganda and the struggle against dictatorship and for democracy.
It was the place where Guo Moruo worked and lived in Chongqing. It was also an important gathering place for many cultural celebrities in Chongqing during the Anti-Japanese War. Shen Yanbing, Lao She, Tao Xingzhi and so on were all regular visitors.
As a leading figure in the cultural circle, Guo Moruo successively created historical plays such as Qu Yuan. One of the most famous is Qu Yuan which was completed in 11 days. This was also the most important and glorious period of his writing career, and “Tianguanfu No.8” is the “witness” of this history. (Translated by Liu Hongyan, Fathom Language Limited)